Before Your Procedure
If you have been scheduled for a Pre Surgical Screening Appointment:
The Pre-Surgical Screening Clinic is located at 1055 N. Curtis, Central Tower, Main Entrance. The phone number is 208-367-3270. Please plan to arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled Pre-Surgical Screening appointment in order to complete the registration process. Plan to spend about one hour for the assessment, lab work, other required testing and pre-op teaching. It is not necessary to be fasting for your Pre-Surgical Screening appointment unless instructed by your doctor.
Bring with you:
- Insurance information/card
- Home medication list (completed)
- Copy of your Living Will and Durable Power of Attorney, if you have them
- Reading glasses or hearing aids, if needed
Before Your Procedure
If you have been scheduled for a Pre-Surgical Screening Telephone Call:
At the time you are scheduled for your Pre-Surgical Screening Telephone Assessment, a nurse will call you at the number you provided the surgeon's office. Plan to spend about half an hour for the assessment interview and pre-op teaching.
Please have available: Home medication list (completed)
Day of Procedure
DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING (including water, coffee, gum, chewing tobacco, hard candy) OR SMOKE after midnight the evening before your surgery, or as instructed by your surgeon.
- You may receive a phone call the night before your surgery to confirm your arrival time and review the time you are to stop eating and drinking.
- Enter Door N7 for surgery scheduled in the Day Surgery Center (old Orthopedic Institute).
- Enter the Central Tower Main Entrance for all other surgical procedures.
- If you have been instructed to take medication before surgery, take it with only a small sip of water.
- Please bring only inhalers, eye drops and/or birth control pills with you to the hospital. Leave all other medication at home.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes to the hospital.
- Leave everything of value (watches, jewelry, credit cards, purses, wallets) at home. Bring insurance information if you have not previously registered.
- Patients less than 18 years of age, unless legally declared an emancipated minor, must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian authorized to give legal consent for the patient's surgery. THE PARENT OR GUARDIAN MUST REMAIN IN THE HOSPITAL WHILE THE CHILD IS IN SURGERY.
- Please notify your physician if you have any cold or flu symptoms, infections, or abscessed teeth as soon as possible.
- Please notify your surgeon if you suspect you are pregnant. Anesthesia and medications may be harmful to your baby.
- You must arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery. You will not be allowed to drive yourself home. For some surgeries, a second person is required to be available to assist the patient while being transported home. It is advised that someone stay with you at home the first 24 hours after you are dismissed from the hospital.