Welcome to the Spinal Cord System of Care at Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center. The Spinal Cord System of Care consists of an inpatient unit located on the hospital's 3-West floor and an outpatient unit located at 717 N. Liberty. The Spinal Cord System of Care at SARMC has highly experienced, skilled teams of therapists, nurses and physicians specializing in assisting people with spinal cord injury.
Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center provides rehabilitation professionals who have specialized training in the treatment of individuals with spinal cord injuries. The team works together in a collaborative manner to meet the rehabilitation needs of each patient and family.
The Spinal Cord System of Care at Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center places a high priority on helping the patient and family deal with the effects of the injury. Both the patient and the family are key members of the rehabilitation teams and assist in goal setting and discharge planning.
Our Commitment to Quality
Recognized as a regional leader in the treatment of traumatic and non-traumatic spinal cord injuries, the Spinal Cord System of Care at Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center was established in 1986 and has been helping people rebuild their lives since that time. Our high patient volume and diverse patient population means that we are experienced in treating all types of spinal cord injuries, including the most complex cases. Our ongoing data shows that patients who have completed this program have a higher rate of return to home and community than the average national statistics.
At Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center, we are serious about providing quality care and finding ways to continually improve our services. We voluntarily undergo a challenging comprehensive evaluation by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) every three years. We consistently receive JCAHO's "stamp of approval" meeting a long list of rigorous performance standards ensuring the safety and quality of care provided. Accreditation is just one more sign of our excellence and commitment to providing quality patient care. You as a consumer can be confident that we not just meet, but exceed industry standards.
Craig H. Neilsen Foundation
Quality of Life Grant
At Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center's Rehabilitation Center, the Spinal Cord Injury Recovery project, sponsored by the Craig H. Neilsen Foundation, focuses on a number of goals including:
- Successfully reintegrating patients with spinal cord injuries into their communities.
- Helping to reduce patient fears and uncertainties about the readiness of post discharge accommodations.
- Ensuring medical and practical supports are in place whether in the home, job, school or recreational environment for patients after discharge.
- Increasing efficiencies and decreasing length of inpatient stays.
- Increasing independence, supporting psychological health and reducing Emergency Department readmissions for conditions related to SCI.
- Producing and providing educational and informative materials for people with SCI. Materials will not only be provided to patients, but also to professionals throughout our region – helping others in similar situations.