Making a Critical Difference for Seniors
Saint Alphonsus Senior ER's address the special medical needs, preferences and physical comforts of older adults. Beyond the typical ER visit, where staff focus on treating the medical issue at hand, the Senior ER goes deeper, assessing and addressing root causes for each visit.
To create the Saint Alphonsus Senior ER, we implemented fundamental changes in our culture, physical environment and operations. Each Senior ER is run by a specially trained care team focused on providing a better, gentler, more patient-centered experience that produces better patient outcomes.
- Emergency Nurses have completed indepth courses on Geriatric Emergency Nursing Education
- Emergency physicians have specialized knowledge in the care of seniors
- Pharmacists may review medications that could pose a problem or may have contributed to the patient's ER visit
- Licensed social workers or case managers may be available to discuss care options and screenings with both the patient and the caregiver
- Facility modifications have been made to address the safety, comfort and communication for seniors, and may include:
- quieter setting for care
- pressure reducing mattresses
- hearing and vision aids
- items with larger print
- appropriate flooring and lighting