When patients don't clearly understand what medications to take and how to take them, they can't fully participate in their treatment and often mistakes occur. Here are some recommendations for medication safety.
- Bring a list of all medications you are currently taking including prescribed medications, over-the-counter drugs, herbal supplements and home remedies.
- Keep your medication list current and carry it in your wallet or purse.
- If you have allergies or reactions to certain medications, be sure to inform your doctor and nurse.
- Each time a medication is given to you, ask for the name of the medication and why it is being given.
- Ask for written information on each drug you are given.
- Before you leave the hospital, ask for a written list of all medication you are to take at home. Be sure you know:
- Brand and generic names of the medications
- What they are prescribed for
- How much and how often to take them
- What to expect from the medication—results and side effects
- Any special instructions about taking the drug