Saint Alphonsus Health System

Medical Evacuation Insurance

Who Should Consider Medical Evacuation Insurance?

Any person traveling outside the US who does not already have this type of insurance!


  • Motor vehicle related injury is the most common cause of death of travelers under age 40.
  • The U.S. government will not pay to evacuate you in the event of illness or injury.
  • Moving an ill or injured traveler can cost $100,000.00.
  • The Social Security Medicare program does not pay for coverage outside the USA.

What Are Some Recommendations For Purchasing Travel Insurance?

  • Prior to purchasing insurance for travel, interview companies you are considering.
  • Prioritize your needs and make sure the company you choose agrees with your ideas.

Ask questions:

  • Where is the closest location that the insurance company considers to have adequate medical care?
  • What does the insurance company consider an emergency?
  • Where can I purchase insurance for travel?

The following organizations offer travel insurance. You can contact them through the telephone number or website listed below:
Please note: Saint Alphonsus Travel Medicine does not endorse any company listed here.

Additional Resources

For more information about insurance and/or emergency transportation, visit

What About International Student ID Cards and Teacher Cards?

International student ID cards and teacher cards have medical evacuation insurance associated with them. Contact the following organization for information about obtaining an international student ID card or teacher card: