Michael J. Coughlin, M.D. received his medical degree from Oregon Health Sciences University and his Orthopedic training at the University of California, San Francisco.
He completed a fellowship in foot and ankle surgery with Roger A. Mann, M.D., Oakland, California.
Featured on Good Morning America and Dateline NBC for his research regarding the ill effects of high fashion footwear, Dr. Coughlin was the youngest President of the American Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Society in 1990 and was recently named President-Elect for the International Federation of Foot & Ankle Surgeons.
Dr. Coughlin currently practices in Boise, Idaho where he has served as Chief of Orthopedics at St. Alphonsus Regional Medical Center and President of the Idaho Orthopedic Society. He is also a Clinical Professor of Surgery, Department of Orthopedics, Oregon Health Sciences University and has published several scientific articles. Dr. Coughlin is the author and co-editor of two textbooks on foot and ankle surgery, Surgery of the Foot and Ankle, and The Video Textbook of Foot an Ankle Surgery. For further information regarding Dr. Coughlin's lectures and publications, please refer to his curriculum vitae.
Best Doctors in America
Best Doctors in America believes that consumers want and deserve the best medical care. Best Doctors' goal is to link patients with the medical information they need to make the best physician choice for treatment of their individual problem.
Physicians are selected for this honor via a survey of leading specialists worldwide. These specialists are asked what doctors they would go to for treatment of a specific problem and only 4% of all physicians in the United Stages are selected as outstanding by Best Doctors'.
Michael J. Coughlin, M.D., Boise, Idaho was selected as a Best Doctor in America in the area of Orthopedic surgery of the foot and ankle.
- Tornier - consultant, speaker, royalties on ankle implants (screws, plates, Stabilus ankle system), stock options
- Integra - consultant, speaker, royalties on foot implants (Hallu-fix, Hallu-loc, Proximal osteotomy plates)
- Arthrex - consultant, speaker, royalties on plantar plate fixation (CPR set) for lesser MTP joint instability
- Elsevier - editor of textbook "Surgery of the Foot and Ankle," and royalties from textbook
- Stryker - consultant, speaker, royalties on Anchorage plating system for the foot