Fellowship Year: 2008
Dr. Smith grew up in Southern California and graduated from medical school at the University of California, San Francisco. He went on complete his Orthopedic Surgery residency at Loma Linda University Medical Center, where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
Following residency, Dr. Smith finished a year of fellowship training in Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery, studying under internationally renowned Orthopedic Surgeon Dr. Michael J. Coughlin.
His current clinical interests include total ankle arthroplasty/replacement, sports injuries, foot and ankle arthroscopy, osteochondral lesions, cartilage injuries, stress fractures, Achilles tendon, tendon transfers, arthritis, flat foot deformity, fractures, dislocations, post-traumatic reconstruction, hallux valgus/bunion, hallux rigidus, and forefoot pathology.
Dr. Smith has published articles on the subjects of ankle and hindfoot arthritis, tendon reconstruction, and bunion deformities. He is married and enjoys skiing, camping, and travel.
He currently practices Foot and Ankle Orthopedic Surgery at The University of Southern California San Diego.
Perlman Medical Office
9350 Campus Point Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
Visit Dr. Smith’s website
UCSD Medical Center
200 West Arbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92103
UCSD Thornton Hospital
9300 Campus Point Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
Articles Published with Dr. Coughlin
- Smith B, Coughlin M. Treatment of hallux valgus with increased distal metatarsal articular angle: use of double and triple osteotomies. Foot Ankle Clin N Am. 14:369-382, 2009
- Smith BW, Coughlin MJ: Tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis with a retrograde intramedullary nail. Brazilian Foot and Ankle Journal 1(2): 9-12, 2007
- Smith BW, Coughlin MJ: Technique tip: reconstruction of an acute anterior tibial tendon rupture with a gracilis tendon autograft. Med Surg du Pied. 24:60-62,2008
- Coughlin MJ, Smith BW Hallux Valgus and first ray Mobility. Surgical Technique. JBJS Am 90:153-170, 2008
- Smith BW, Coughlin MJ: The first metatarsocuneiform joint, hypermobility, and hallux valgus: what does it all mean? Foot and Ankle Surgery 14:138-141, 2008
- Coughlin MJ, Smith BW, Trauber P. The evaluation of the healing rate of subtalar arthrodeses, Part 2: the effect of low-intensity ultrasound stimulation. Foot Ankle Int 29:970-977, 2008